I know it’s been awhile but a lot has happened.
If it wasn’t for bad luck, we wouldn’t have any luck at all. Thankfully, we don’t believe in luck!
After yet again another delay thanks to hurricane Sandy, we finally launched Sparta, and set a departure date of Friday Nov 9th. After spending a couple of days trying to get her old 4 cylinder Westerbeke diesel engine running a couple more problems were discovered. No fuel, injector problems and a high pressure fuel pump that would not work. This would cost approximately 3500.00 to correct. Then after doing a compression check we discovered that although we had 100psi consistently for each cylinder, this would not be enough to get the old girl running again without more tear down and troubleshooting and of course more $. This engine should have at least 400psi or more. Back to the proverbial problem solving high counsel (Me, Donavan and Angel). Putting this much money in what could continue to be an unreliable engine, was not a smart decision. A new engine and repower would be in order. This will be be another 20,000 and we have run out of time as well. So, pull Sparta back out and run for the Canadian border home again. We will have to take care of these issues over the winter and leave in the spring, even though this is not what we want to do. Hurricane season runs from June to November but we will have to come up with a new plan of attack. Plan our work…….work our plan.
Angel’s Company will continue to work hard and Bruce’s Company will do what it does best, move snow for the winter. Good intentions definitely won’t keep the wallets topped up!
We are a little disheartened but definitely not giving up!
So bear with us yet again and we will keep updates going and upload more photos soon as time allows.